Our brain loves efficiency. It loves routines and structure.
We are all creatures of habits.
Having discipline and routine has served me well, but I am also aware of how it can limit my life.
I would like to offer you how to distinguish between a supportive habit versus a limiting one.
Most of our routines are created with good intentions.
Whenever we want to establish better habits (like eating healthy, meditating regularly…), we need new routines to actually make changes that last.
Certain routines are also beneficial during times of uncertainty.
If you are starting a new business with a lot of unknowns, having a structured routine around work hours and task completion not only creates productivity, but also a feeling of certainty.
So when do habits become limiting?
Here are some ways I have found to be aware of:
- Getting too comfortable. After something has become a routine for a while, it can be so cosy and predictable that change does not occur and your brain goes into automatic mode.
I love being a little sore after a workout. I know that may sound weird but it means that I did something different enough that challenged my body.
If I always did the same routine day after day, I would stop seeing results.
- To get different results, we need to mix things up. Doing different things is what stretches us to grow and develop new skills. Participating in out-of-our-comfort-zone activities is what helps us deepen or develop qualities like courage, confidence and creativity.
- Where are you too comfortable in life?
- What can you do to alter a current routine in your life to get a little uncomfortable?
- What routines have you outgrown and what are some new ones you can stretch toward?
I notice that more and more leaders are waking up and feeling a call to do what is aligned with their hearts and soul. And they want to do it in a “new” way because the “old” ways of pushing, struggling and competing to the point of depletion just aren’t working anymore.
That’s time for you to answer the question too.
What are the NEW Habits you would like to put in place to reach your goals?
All my love,